We enjoy discussing about coconut oil in every session of our soap making classes 🙂
There is so much to talk about coconut oil indeed! Coconut oil is beneficial oil in many ways.
(This is a topic on how-to-make, we will not touch on the benefits here; however you might want to explore more about it at Coconut oil Malaysia. We are not a stockist of any products)
The lathers in handmade soaps are derived from coconut oil and we teach our soap class participants to always include this wonderful oil as part of their soap ingredients.
It is pretty easy to prepare coconut oil at home. 🙂
1. Get grated coconut (select old coconuts for more oil) or ready pressed fresh coconut milk from the market. (skip step 2 if you have store-bought coconut milk)
2. Prepare in advance a clean container with a sieve and cheese cloth. You may mix the grated coconut with some water (do not add too much to preserve the creaminess of coconut milk); squeeze hard and sieve through to get as much coconut milk as possible out of the grated coconut.
3. Pour the creamy coconut milk
Into a clean glass container. Ensure the container is air-tight and allow separation for 24-48 hours.
4. 24 – 48 hours later, a layer of coconut oil will appear on the top of the liquid.
5. Scoop up the coconut oil and bottle up!
At the end of our soap class, we always remind our participants to keep some of their homemade virgin cold pressed coconut oil as their daily food; it is too precious to pour all into their soap! 🙂 🙂
Happy September !